by Christopher Menge
In honor of today being America Recycles Day, I put together the following tips to assist with your recycling efforts:
- Put your recycling bins next to your trash or near your kitchen.
- Remind your family members with “Can you Recycle that?” signs on your trash bins.
- Your cereal bags aren’t really “dirty.” Just shake them out or rinse them and then recycle! Recycle the boxes as paper, of course.
- Don’t throw away that greasy food container! You don’t need lots of energy-hungry hot water to recycle your greasy plastic take-out food container. Just put in a couple drops of dish soap, and with a sponge, some cold water and 15 seconds of scrubbing, you’ll have a clean container ready for the bin!
- Make 90% of those pizza boxes recyclable! Just use your sharp box cutter knife to cut out the greasy spot, and the rest of the box can go in the recycle bin.
- Quickly dress up your glass bottles for clean recycling. Just cut off the metal or plastic capsules and rings at the tops of the bottles, and put those pieces in the proper stream.
For more information on America Recycles Day, see http://americarecyclesday.org.