Since 1994, HMMH provided airport noise-related consulting services to San Diego International Airport (SAN). In 2008, HMMH began an update to the SAN Part 150 Noise Exposure Map (NEM) and Noise Compatibility Program (NCP).
Noise abatement measures analyzed included:
- John Wayne Airport-like noise abatement departure profiles (NADP) for aircraft departing Runway 27
- Continuous descent approach (CDA) procedures for aircraft arriving Runway 27
- Nighttime preferential runway use program for aircraft arriving between 2330 and 0630 hours
- Area Navigation (RNAV) procedures for existing departure procedures
- New “over-the-bay” departure route for lighter aircraft
The Study also included a rigorous effort to have the City of San Diego review and recommend alternative language for the land use measures so that the City would be able and willing to enforce the measures.
The FAA accepted the NEMs on November 10, 2009; the SDCRAA submitted the NCP to the FAA on June 8, 2010 and is awaiting the record of approval for the recommended Noise Compatibility Program measures.